Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fantasy Sports

For many sports fans, fantasy sports are a great way of keeping interest in the world of sports.  In the fantasy world, players draft teams of guys and watch to see how they do in real life.  Their real life performance dictates how the fantasy owner does on a week-to-week basis.  For me, fantasy sports has been something I've been a part of for about 8-9 years now.  It has brought up and downs, but I think it is a good way of paying attention to sports because it forces you to watch games that you would have no interest in otherwise.  The only problem comes in the possibility of diminishing or tainted loyalty towards one's favorite teams.  If you play fantasy, you will almost certainly have guys who will have to perform against your favorite teams.  Do you root for your team no matter what, or do you pull for your guys to do well in order to earn a fantasy win?  The naive person says you root for your team no matter what, but in the fantasy world there may be a lot of pride or money at stake.   The decision may not be as easy as one would think.  I have been put in this situation before and must say I'd rather see my team win then my fantasy players do well, but part of me is still rooting for my team to win and those fantasy guys to do well in a loss.

I am finishing up a fantasy basketball league now and have begun my fourth week of fantasy baseball this season in a league with all of my friends.  In my future posts, I will definitely talk baseball, but I may talk about my fantasy team/league here and there because it is something I enjoy doing. 

Do you participate in fantasy leagues?  Why or why not?  Let me know what you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment