Monday, April 23, 2012

My First Cubs Game of the Season

I have been meaning to do a Cubs 2012 preview for weeks now, but I haven't had the chance to get around to it.  With the awful start to the season for the Cubs, it has most fans already giving up the little hope they had.  I went to my first game of the year with my girlfriend this past Saturday at Wrigley Field as they played host to the Reds, and for some reason they always seem to play well when I am there.  Additionally, it was her first visit to Wrigley Field ever, so she seemed to bring some luck with her as well.  Last year, they were 6-1 or so in games I attended, and this year I was off to a 1-0 start as the Cubs won 6-1 and snapped a six-game losing streak.

The weather was around 45 degrees and windy, to be expected for April baseball in Chicago.  The warm temperatures of this spring has brought ivy to the outfield wall earlier than usual.  Nothing quite matches the smell of hot dogs and grilled onions at the Friendly Confines.  While the temperature was about 45, it felt closer to 35 because my seats were in the shade for the entire day.  Even with a pair of thermal socks and two layers of pants, my lower body took a good amount of time to thaw out after the game.  The Cubs threw Paul Maholm on the mound opposing Mike Leake.  The Reds put a run up on the board in the first inning, and most fans probably thought we'd be in for another long day.  However, the Cubs answered with one in the first and four in the second inning to take a 5-1 lead.  They pounded out 14 hits on the day and added one more run for good measure in the 6-1 win.  Maholm looked poised on the hill, going six innings while only giving up one run and strike out five.  His first few starts of the season were very rough, but he pitched nicely on Saturday and earned the win.

Things got a little dicey in the seventh inning when Tony Campana lost a ball in the sun and had some questionable judgment on another fly ball that David DeJesus somewhat misplayed.   This left guys on second and third base with no outs, but James Russell was not fazed and retired the next three guys in succession without giving up a run.  Marmol looked in command of his pitches in the ninth to preserve the win in a non-save situation.

Catcher Steve Clevenger and Darwin Barney both had  great days at the plate, each going 3-for-4 with an RBI.   Starlin Castro, while sometimes prone to waving at bad pitches, went 2-for-5 with an RBI triple.

I must say this is the biggest cast of no-namers I can remember for a Cubs lineup in years.  They got the job done Saturday, but they play one good game to every three bad games and often look like a minor league team.  Theo Epstein knows this process will be arduous, but I trust that he is committed to bringing a winner to Chicago.  He has the pedigree and resume with two championships to get the job done.  He wouldn't come to the Cubs if he didn't think there was a possibility to turn things around in such a big market.  There are very few pieces to build around right now and things will take time, but I think the Cubs will reap the benefits of the Theo era in due time.  The lineup is pretty weak, the starting pitching is average at best, and the bullpen is shaky.  This is well-known and while it may be a rough year for the Cubs, they will gain experience, learn, and grow from it.

Because I know tickets will not be too expensive for most of the year, I'm sure I will be back on a warm and sunny day sometime this summer.  I was recently offered a media relations internship with the Rockford Riverhawks baseball team in Rockford, Illinois.  They are providing housing as well, and I am very grateful for the opportunity to get a start with my professional career as I will spend the summer at the ballpark with the team, writing and doing whatever else they need me to do.  I am very happy and hopeful that this opportunity will launch me into a career down the road. 


1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I'm thankful you received that internship too and hope it helps you in your future career.

    ReplyDelete