Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pat Summitt and Eric LeGrand captivate at the ESPY's


Yesterday was the only day of the entire calendar year where one of the four major sports did not have games scheduled.  This particular day is known for the ESPY's, the sports awards for the past year.  Each year, the best athletes in the country assemble and receive awards for their outstanding play on the field.  Jokes are cracked, accomplishments are celebrated, and athletes get the chance to step back from their playing or training and act like normal human beings with their fellow athletes.

The awards and all are great and it was cool to see all the awards handed out such as Best Team, Best Male College Athlete, etc, but the real stories of the night were the winners of the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage and the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance.  Those recipients, former Tennessee Lady Vols basketball coach Pat Summitt, and former Rutgers football player Eric LeGrand, embodied what sports are all about.

Pat Summitt was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's Disease after she began to struggle with juggling the rigors of being a college basketball coach.  She already had six miscarriages and a divorce in the past, and now she was about to start tackling a huge obstacle in Alzheimer's.  The life she leads has influenced so many people, from her girls to the Tennessee community to the nation that has seen her eight national championships and numerous other accolades.  To be frankly honest, I wouldn't have ever had a hint of interest in women's college basketball if it weren't for Summitt.  I also had some interest because I have family in Tennessee.  Growing up, I saw her accomplish so many things and was always drawn to her intense but nurturing coaching style.  One thing I regret is that I had an opportunity to see her coach in the NCAA Tournament as Tennessee took on DePaul at the AllState Arena, and I passed up that opportunity.  I didn't really know about it until it was too late, but I would have loved to see her coach.  I do not consider myself a women's college hoops junkie, but I greatly respect and admire what this women has done as a pioneer for the sport.

Eric LeGrand was a Rutgers football player who was paralyzed after making a tackle in a game against Army at home in 2010.  He suffered some severe damage to his spinal cord, but he has refused to let his situation make him depressed or upset.  Last night, LeGrand came out with a huge smile on his face while sitting in his wheelchair.  When it comes to sports, I usually put on a tough guy mantra and rarely cry, but just seeing his beaming face in the midst of these circumstances had me bawling my eyes out (and I'm not one to usually admit that, either).  It made me really appreciate all that I have in my life and that I shouldn't take anything for granted and life every day of my life with a true gratitude that I am able to even walk.  LeGrand ends his speech by quoting the late Jim Valvano in saying, "Don't give up, don't ever give up".  This gripping speech brought out the humanity in the entire audience as well as me.  A guy who had his football dream and career taken away from him has been fighting to walk again, which is something he says he will do.  They showed some of his rehab process, and it was simply amazing to see just how hard he is fighting to get back on his feet.  Even as I am writing this, I get the chills thinking about him.  He will be coming out with a biography in a few months, and I will be the first one at the book store to pick that up.

Seeing these two people failing to let their circumstances define really provides inspiration to all, whether or not you are a sports fan.  I love stories like this that really put things into perspective and make me appreciate what I have in my life.  These two have very tough circumstances indeed, but the lives they are impacted in this world make that tough experience so valuable.  These two are what is right in the world of sports amidst all the problems.  It is refreshing to see inspiring stuff like this that transcends games, statistics, records, etc.

These stories are what the ESPY's are all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment