Thursday, September 6, 2012

Usain Bolt thoughts

I was hoping to have more time to write a wrap-up on London 2012 Olympics, but I didn't get that chance because I was busy finishing up my internship with the Rockford RiverHawks Professional Baseball Team.  I know some time has past, but I just wanted to take a few moments to reflect on the athletic prowess of the great Usain Bolt.

Usain Bolt was simply a freak at the London Games, winning the 100 and 200 again, and once again anchoring the Jamaican team to another 4x100 relay victory.  In the 100, he fended off training partner Yohan Blake, as well as Americans Tyson Gay and Justin Gatlin, in the fastest ever 100m finale.  While he did not shatter any world records, he broke his own Olympic record in the process.  Bolt is even thinking about possibly doing the 400 and long jump in Rio, but I don't know if I'd even want to see him run the 400. I understand he wants a new challenge, but winning the 400 wouldn't really do much for him.  If he was able to three-peat in 100, 200, and 4x100, that would be a remarkable accomplishment.  If he took one of these out for the 400m, it would be pointless in my opinion.

Before these games, Bolt had always been one of my favorite Olympians just based on his sheer dominance. I'm the type of person who usually likes athletes who don't put on a show and just go out and do their business.  Usain Bolt is not that man.  When that man competes, he treats the track as an arena to show off his freakish abilities, and he makes sure everyone is watching him for his celebrations and antics.  In 2008, I didn't really have a problem with him doing this because he was young, fast, and exciting, but something about the way he went about things this time around rubbed me the wrong way.  Declaring himself the greatest athlete of the all-time was probably what rubbed me the wrong way.  In his interviews, he seemed so self-absorbed and not caring about anything but himself.  To call yourself the greatest athlete of all-time is a little ridiculous.  Yes, you may be the fastest man to ever run, but to call yourself the world's greatest athlete is a bit of a stretch.

Guys like Michael Jordan never had to tell people how great they were.  People watched Jordan play and made that proclamation. He didn't have to brag or say how great he was.  It irks me a bit that Bolt seems so selfish.  Running that fast is not an easy thing to do, but I still believe making a fadeaway jumper in with two defenders on you in the NBA Finals takes a tremendous amount of skill.  Hitting a 100 mph fastball is also very difficult.  I just question Bolt's logic in saying he is the best of all-time.  The greats in their respective sports did outstanding things in their arenas that may be more difficult than what Bolt did.  It is like comparing apples to oranges when skill is better than another.

While Bolt is electrifying to watch and it is great to see that he is having fun, I think he needs to handle himself a little more professionally to be respected by the greatest athletes of all-time.  There is no doubt he belongs in the conversation, but he doesn't need to try to convince people.  His accomplishments should be speaking rather than his big ego.  I do not hate Bolt by any means and will still cheer for him in these big races, but it just frustrated me to see his self-serving attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment