The Lady Flames enter the game with a 1-3 mark following a setback to No. 20 Virginia Tech, Wednesday at home. The Midshipmen come into Saturday's contest with a 2-1 record. Navy bested Villanova, 17-5, on Wednesday in Annapolis, Md, in its most recent contest.
The Middies lead the Lady Flames, 4-0, in the all-time series. The two teams last met on Feb. 27, 2016 at Navy. Navy defeated Liberty, 21-7, on that day. Abby Britton and Kayla Foster both scored twice for the Lady Flames in the contest.
|Liberty (1-3) looks to get back on track, Saturday at home against Navy (2-1).|
There will no live video broadcast of the game.
Live stats for the contest are available on the lacrosse schedule/results panel. For those unable to attend, be sure to follow @LUGameday on Twitter for live in-game updates.
Back Half of Homestand
Saturday's showdown with Navy is the third of four straight home contests for Liberty. After Saturday's contest, the Lady Flames will host Old Dominion (March 4, noon), before beginning a six-game road trip at George Mason (March 11, 1 p.m.).
Lady Flames News and Notes
- The Lady Flames currently rank 26th in the nation in free position percentage (.500)
- As a team, Liberty is No. 36 in the country in ground balls per game (19.75) and No. 42 in the country in caused turnovers per game (10.00)
- Foster is No. 41 in the country in assists (5) and leads the team in points with nine and draw controls with 10
- Junior defender Lindsey McNamara stands at No. 27 in the nation in caused turnovers per game (2.50)
- Liberty freshmen have accounted for 10 of the 27 goals scored by the Lady Flames, so far this season.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Katherine Widrick is second in the Big South in goals-against average (11.82)
- Liberty holds an advantage over its opponents in clear percentage (.704-.671)
- The Lady Flames have a better shots on goal percentage (.722) than their opponents (.695)
- Through four contests, Liberty owns a 79-71 advantage over its opponents in ground balls
- Liberty's opponents have outshot the Lady Flames, 118-72
- The Lady Flames are losing the battle for draw controls, 59-34, so far this year
Navy has early seasons wins over Longwood and Villanova, with its lone setback coming at No. 10 Duke, Feb. 12.
The Midshipmen are in the top 20 in the national rankings in several categories, including: free position percentage (No. 8, .700), scoring offense (No. 9, 16.33), points per game (No. 11, 23.33), ground balls per game (No. 14, 23.00), scoring margin (No. 14, 7.00) and assists per game (No. 16, 7.00).
Freshman attacker Kelly Larkin (9 g, 8 a, 17 pts) is the team's top point getter and ranks No. 13 in the nation in points per game. Junior attacker Jenna Collins (12 g, 3 a, 15 pts) is 16th in the country in goals and leads the team in the category. Junior attacker Julia Collins (7 g, 7 a, 14 pts) will also pose a threaten on the offensive end and has won a team-best 13 draw controls.
Junior goalkeeper Ingrid Boyum (2-1, 8.97 GAA) will likely handle the goalkeeping duties for the Mids. Boyum has 11 saves on the year and is 29th in the country in goals-against average.
Navy is coached by Cindy Timchal, who is in her 10th season in charge of the program. Timchal has a 139-39 career record at the school, with four Patriot League titles and four NCAA tournament appearances (2010-13).