Liberty brings a 4-10 overall mark and 3-1 Big South record into Saturday, while High Point (10-3, 4-0 Big South) shares first place in the conference with Campbell (7-6, 4-0 Big South).
The Lady Flames are coming off a 21-7 victory at Gardner-Webb, Wednesday afternoon. High Point collected its 10th consecutive win with a 19-5 triumph at Radford, Wednesday.
|Liberty (4-10, 3-1 BSC) will take on High Point (10-3, 4-0 BSC) on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Lynchburg.|
Liberty is 1-5 in the all-time series against High Point, with its only win in the series coming on April 17, 2015. On that day, the host Lady Flames defeated High Point, 16-15, in overtime in Lynchburg.
How to Follow the Lady Flames
The Liberty Flames Sports Network (LFSN) will be broadcasting Saturday's game on the Big South Network. Find the link for the live video stream on the lacrosse schedule/results panel on LibertyFlames.com
Live stats for the contest will also be accessible on the lacrosse schedule/results panel. Also, be sure to follow @LUGameday on Twitter for live in-game updates from the Liberty Lacrosse Field.
2017 Big South Update
Liberty is currently in third place in the Big South with a 3-1 record, trailing only Campbell (4-0) and Saturday's opponent, High Point (4-0) Following Saturday afternoon's contest, the Lady Flames will face Radford on Wednesday at 6 p.m. for Senior Night in Lynchburg.
Here's a look at the current conference standings:
Foster Breaks Pair of Program Records
Kayla Foster had the breakout game of her sophomore campaign, tallying a program-record eight assists and school record 11 points, Wednesday in a 21-7 win at Gardner-Webb.
Foster had four helpers in each half, with the final one setting up sophomore Brittany Tickle's first career goal with 2:15 remaining. Her eight assists shattered the previous Lady Flames record set by Sam Struss at Delaware State on March 1, 2013.
The Sewickley, Pa., native eclipsed the previous Liberty record for points (9), set by two different players (Morgan Becker twice, Karis Walborn).
Foster is up to a team-best 47 points (20 g, 27 a) in 14 games, this season. Her career day at GWU vaulted her from No. 50 in DI lacrosse in assists all the way up to No. 21, while she checks in at No. 32 in the nation in assists per game (1.93). Foster is the program leader in career assists per game (1.75) and is four assists from matching the program record. She has 56 career assists in less than two full seasons, while the school record for career assists is 60.
White Recognized as BSC Freshman of the Week
Lady Flames freshman midfielder Carly White was tabbed the Big South Women's Lacrosse Freshman of the Week by the league office, Tuesday.
White tallied five goals, three assists, eight points, seven ground balls, four draw controls and four caused turnovers in two Big South games, last week. She scored a career-best four goals while also adding an assists and a career-high five ground balls at home versus Campbell, last Saturday.
The Marietta, Ga., native is off to another strong start this week, as she scored two goals and added three draw controls, Wednesday at Gardner-Webb.
Lady Flames News and Notes
- After scooping up a season-high 32 ground balls on Wednesday at Gardner-Webb, Liberty is now No. 5 in the nation in ground balls per game (23.14) and No. 14 in the country in caused turnovers per game (11.43). The Lady Flames are first in the Big South in both categories.
- The Lady Flames are averaging 17 goals per game through four Big South Conference contests.
- Sophomore midfielder Brianna McCaffrey leads Liberty in goals (27), draw controls (61) and shots (78). McCaffrey is fifth in the Big South and 39th nationally in draw controls per game (4.36) and fourth in the conference in shots per game (5.57). The Boca Raton, Fla., native won 10 draw controls at Gardner-Webb, the third most in a single contest in Liberty lacrosse history.
- McCaffrey has tallied seven free-position goals in 2017, which ranks sixth-most in a single season in Lady Flames lacrosse history. Former Liberty standout Sam Struss holds the record with 13 in 2014. Redshirt sophomore midfielder Paige Britton has five free-position tallies in the three matches.
- Liberty senior defender Victoria Tickle paces the team with 41 ground balls and is 36th in DI in ground balls per game (2.93) and fourth in the Big South. Tickle is eighth all-time in program history with 90 ground balls.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Katherine Widrick is second in the Big South in goals-against average (11.81) and third in save percentage (.401). She was selected as the Big South Defensive Player of the Week on April 4.
- Senior midfielder Courtney Brown notched a career-high four goals in Wednesday's victory at Gardner-Webb. The senior has 38 goals and 18 assists (56 points) in 69 career contests.
- Liberty's freshmen have accounted for 48 of the 141 goals (34.1 percent) scored by the Lady Flames, this season. Grace Fletcher leads the first-year group with 14 goals, followed by Carly White (13), Hannah Quast (11), Jenna Joyal (7) and Nikki Stumpf (3).
- Sophomore attacker Brittany Tickle the first two goals of her career at Gardner-Webb, Wednesday. Both markers for the Fairfax, Va., native came in the final 2:15 of the contest.
- Liberty attempted 52 shots on Wednesday at GWU, the most in any game in school history. The team also won 22 draw controls, tied for the third-most in a single match in Liberty lacrosse history.
- Over the last eight games, Liberty is averaging 12.75 goals per contest. The Lady Flames averaged just 6.50 goals per game during their first six contests.
The Panthers, who won Big South championships in 2013 and 2014 and finished runner-up to Winthrop in 2016, enter Saturday's match with 10 straight wins, matching a school record for longest win streak.
Junior attacker Brooke Stevens paces the High Point offense with 28 goals, a team-best 22 assists and team-high 50 points. Senior attacker Samantha Brown is the team's top goal scorer with 34. The Panthers' offense is ninth in the nation in shots per game (34.23), 10th in assists per game (7.08) and 16th in points per game (21.31) while leading the Big South in all three categories.
On the defensive end, High Point stands at second in the Big South in caused turnovers per game (11.31). Junior midfielder Erica Perrotta is first on the team in both caused turnovers (21) and ground balls (33). Freshman goalkeeper Jill Rall (9-0, 8.75 GAA, 60 SV) places No. 13 in the nation in goals-against average (GAA) for head coach Lyndsey Boswell's squad.