Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hunter Mahan Takes the Cake at WGC Accenture Match Play Championship

The WGC Accenture Match Play Championship reached its conclusion today, as American Hunter Mahan defeated Irishman Rory McIlroy 2&1 to capture the crown and deny McIlroy a shot at being world number 1.  Mahan hit pinpoint iron shots and struck it beautifully off the tee.  While both players had some minor struggles and it was still a great match.  In the morning, Mahan got by fellow American Mark Wilson and McIlroy beat Englishman Lee Westwood in a very good matchup that saw Rors come back from 3 down through 4 holes, string some birdies together, and ultimately edge Westwood.  The stage was set for a duel in the desert, and Mahan got the best of McIlroy.

I am still extremely proud of my Mark Wilson pick more than anything.  It was gutsy, but that pick wasn't enough for me to make a statement as I screwed up my other guys I had going deep (Baddeley, Day , Woods).  This is such a great event and I enjoy watching it every year.  I finished with 50 points in my bracket, but I was quite all right with that and happen to see Mahan win.  I like him and think he is good for the game of golf and is a great player.  He made a splash in his "Golf Boys" video, but his game did the talking this week as he proved he can be a force on the PGA Tour.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him near the top of the leaderboard at Augusta this year.  He hits the ball well off the tee, is a great iron player, and has a great feel on the greens, a perfect combination for a course like that.

My apologies for not doing my analysis/insight on the blog the last few days, but I will do my best to cover the most stuff possible in the coming weeks, especially with March Madness and The Masters lurking.  Hope everyone enjoyed watching

No comments:

Post a Comment