Friday, February 3, 2012

Non-Sports Related Article of the Week-TIU Student Teachers

Every Friday I will make it a point to publish one non-sports related article on my blog.  I am doing this to showcase my writing on other topics and to show I am not just a one-trick pony.  This article was written and published in the Trinity Digest last Friday and is about those seniors at my school who are student teaching this semester.

TIU Student Teachers

Most Trinity students have started this semester with homework, tests, and projects to keep them busy.  For second semester seniors in the Department of Education, however, their time has come.  They are now in the classroom as student teachers in area schools, assigning homework , doing lesson planning, and performing all the duties necessary of a teacher.

Priscilla Park, an Elementary Education major with emphasis in Social Science and Language Arts, is teaching first grade and says it’s a bit crazy trying to manage seven-year-olds, but every day is getting a little better as she is being eased into teaching.    She said that helpful feedback from the cooperating classroom teacher, who has 23 years of experience, has put her more at ease.  Also, God has shown her that prayer really works.

“I had such little faith, but through changing my major and God continuously opening doors, it’s really confirmed my calling and that if I rely on him, I can do literally anything,” Park said.

Park added that the most rewarding things about student teaching so far has been being able to take over the subjects and doing something to impact their learning.  She also felt junior block at TIU prepared her in the best way of the experience of student-teaching.

Kristy Sorensen, an Elementary Education major with emphasis in English Communications, is teaching eighth grade language arts and says her time spent teaching so far has been both good and rough, a “one of a kind learning experience that one can only receive when put in this position”. 

Sorensen says her eighth graders have been a pretty mature group, but knows she has room to grow when it comes to taking control of a classroom in a way her students will respond to.  While there have been rough patches, she pointed out the positives.

“What’s cooler than being a kid disguised as an adult?  I can goof off with my students, read children’s books, and never, ever stop learning.  When they told me that being an education is a lifelong learning profession, they weren’t kidding, “ Sorensen said. 

Sorensen also added that she has an amazing family and friend support system who are constantly praying for her.  She also takes comfort in a God that is with her.

“My God is walking beside me, holding my hand when I’m terrified to move forward and whispering that I have nothing to fear,” Sorensen said.  “I can do this, but only with him.”

Dave Mackett, a History/Secondary Education major with Social Science certification, is teaching four section of 9th grade Global Studies and one section of 20th century history.  While he said he has been unbelievably busy and stressed out, he feels his cooperating teachers have been good about giving feedback, sharing ways to improve lessons and classroom management, and helping him to adjust to being a teacher. 
Mackett said that God is definitely teaching him humility after a first week that rocked him.

“Between lessons that I thought would go well going poorly and needing to rely completely on him for energy and strength, he is definitely reminding me that I am far from a finished product,” he said. 

Silvia Yim, an Elementary Education major, is teaching first grade and is grateful that she is being eased into more responsibilities with each day.  She said it is nice to finally be able to apply what she has learned into a classroom setting. 

Yim has seen God’s faithfulness so far, even when she feels she doesn’t have the strength for the next day. 

“I know God has placed me in these classrooms so that I can be a light in my students’ and parents’ lives,” she said.  “God is continuing to show me the bigger picture of teaching.”

TIU’s student teachers will be in the classrooms until late April.  

No comments:

Post a Comment