Tuesday, February 7, 2012

NBA Injuries

I'm going to take a controversial stance on this issue of all the injuries that have swept the NBA this year.  I'm sick of all talk about the condensed schedule and that's the reason why these injuries are happening.  Some injuries have been fluky in nature and these things happen.  The lockout is a little to blame for it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that these NBA players are to blame for the injuries because they are not in the best shape they could be.

A lockout means players do not have access to their normal facilities to practice, workout, etc.  But that also does not mean that these players cannot find other facilities to work out, shoot around, play pick up games, and run at.  Take for example Dirk Nowitzki.  I think he has been downright pathetic this year.  You cannot come off off a title, sit around for an extended period of time, and expect to be great.  I have a lot of respect for Dirk, but my respect level has gone down since then.  Guys may not have taken initiative to get in basketball shape probably because they thought the season was going to be cancelled.  Once they realized there would be a densely-packed 66-game season, they probably freaked out because they knew their bodies weren't ready for it.  The NBA season ended in June and started on Christmas day, leaving over six months for these players to be ready.  I think a lot of them must have spent too much time partying, golfing, and vacationing.

Additionally, I think the quality of play is down this year.  While there have been some great games, I feel like there have been a large number of clunkers.  I watch some games and am appalled by what I see, whether that be a lopsided score, a low-scoring game, or simply no flow in the game at all.  It's been bad and I don't think that is stretching the truth.  Injuries are crippling rosters, and I am going to be the voice who says it's the players fault.  They are professional athletes who get paid a lot of money to do what they do.  They have a lot invested in them by owners, and they are doing a disservice to NBA fans with all the injuries and poor play.  The injuries will keep piling up, and today was no exception as Galinari will miss at least a month and Billups has a torn Achilles and will be out for the remainder of the season.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a superstar or two go down in the coming weeks.

Please let me know what you think about this matter.  Am I not being compassionate enough or do you feel the same way about these injuries?

1 comment:

  1. First thought would put blame on lockout but once you really think about it these guys are professional athletes and should be held responsible for staying in shape during the offseason. Im sure the condensed season does take a toll on the body due to a schedule in which these athletes are not accustom to, however I do agree with you. Also can look at the limited amount of practice time that is available which can affect poor play and injuries. Good points billy

    ReplyDelete