Thursday, January 26, 2012

Abu Dhabi Round One

I want to make my allegiance clear so you are not confused as I begin to talk about the start to Tiger Woods' golf season.  I love Tiger Woods the golfer.  Most people who know anything about me know I love watching him succeed on the golf course, shaping shots on Sunday at The Masters or winning the U.S. Open on one leg.  While he done amazing things that I admire on the golf course, I do not condone his off the course behavior.  I know he's made a lot of mistakes and those are well-documented, but I simply want to see this stud of a golfer get back on the right track on the golf course in 2012.  There have been flashes of greatness in the past year or so, including a win in his own event, but him and swing coach Sean Foley have yet to put it all together to produce the consistent winning he was so used to over the years.  I simply want to hear the roar from him and fans that can not be matched by other players out there.  I am willing to bet that at least 60% of the people who let out a loud roar for Tiger's last win at the Chevron claim they do not like him anymore.  But when it comes down to it, they get caught up in the moment and the electricity Tiger brings to a big putt he drains.

Tiger opened his 2012 campaign late Wednesday night (or early Thursday morning United Arab Emirates time) among a very top-heavy field which included Rory McIlroy, Lee Westwood, Luke Donald, Martin Kaymer, and Sergio Garcia among others.  A bogey-free 70 that had the look of a 66 or 67 if he get get a few more putts to fall, but I was encouraged by this start.  I feel almost certain that he will make the cut and silence those who would love to see him miss the cut and continuously question his play.  Let's remember what Tiger has done in the past when it comes to swing changes.  Once he ditched Harmon for Haney, it took some time to get adjusted to a whole new philosophy of golf swing.  Heck, I used to swing the club with a baseball grip and switched to interlock, and that took me a whole year of getting adjusted to.  Just imagine what it's like for a professional of Tiger's caliber to overhaul his entire swing, from address to takeaway to downswing to point of contact to finish.  It's like starting over in school again.  Yes, we have given Tiger that time, and 2012 is his year to start proving that these changes are going to work.  Tiger is a perfectionist and wants everything to work in unison, but I still think he has to play with instinct and the natural ability he has.  He can learn all he wants from Foley, but once he has that ingrained in his DNA, he must play without thinking too much.  He is hitting the ball great, but I feel he isn't putting with enough instinct and feel.

McIlroy opened with a 67 to take the lead after the first round despite the fact that Woods struck the ball better.  The telling stat of the day, however, was McIlroy's 25 putts compared to Tiger's 34 putts.  Nine strokes right there is huge.  Analyzing it, this means McIlroy took 42 shots to get to the greens while Woods only took 36.  McIlroy was 9 strokes better on putts while Woods was 6 better regarding ballstriking.  It just goes to show just how important putting is.

I'm curious to see how this all plays out in round two and if Tiger can get the flatstick working for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment