Monday, January 30, 2012

Jennings Suspended Indefinitely

This picture just about sums up everything I feel about Clemson's Milton Jennings, and probably is about how he feels right now.  Jennings was suspended Monday for failure to comply with the team's academic standards, according to head coach Brad Brownell.  He did not travel with the team for Tuesday's game at Virginia.  This is yet another disappointing development in the Jennings saga.  If you've read any of my previous Clemson posts, you know this is just the nail in the coffin on my opinion of him as a player and now student.

The team's academic standards, unless Brownell is a crazy person when it comes to academic, in my mind has to mean at the strictest a 2.5 gpa.  That is a high number and it may even be a 2.0 and probably is, but Jennings obviously has been doing stuff that is not worthy of praise.  He was a five star recruit coming in and probably thought he was one day going to be drafted and never have to worry about grades.  Now that he's realized he's not the stud player they need him to be, it can be easy to let the effort in the classroom slip.

As someone who was a four-year baseball starter in college, I understand the plight of student-athletes, but I still got my work done because I did not want to hurt the team.  Let's just hope this is a lesson that Jennings will not take lightly.  His 8.9 points and 5.4 rebounds per game will be missed because Clemson is so young and inexperienced and a bit thin up front.  I just wish he would grow into the player that was expected of him and not this mediocre guy who was wasting his talent and now not using his brains in the classroom.  Let's see if his absence is felt against the Cavaliers of Virginia University tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment